30 December 2010

First Sketches

So after well over a week, yesterday I finally was up to installing and using my Wacom Cintiq for the first time. Over the last week I have been ill and stuck in bed and it was driving me around the bend that after so many years of waiting to get a Wacom Cintiq tablet I could not use it. But yesterday I finally felt up to setting it up and all I can say is OMG I am so impressed. Such a difference in quality and usability compared to my old Wacom Graphire 3.

After an hour or so to install (this included all the minor tweaks of setting express keys and generally getting my head around using two monitors instead of one), I finally did a couple of sketches just to test my new graphics tablet. Straight out of the box, the Cintiq was instantly ready to use in Photoshop. Manga Studio however was a bit more fiddly since for some reason the express keys (in their default mode) would not allow me to zoom in and out using the scroll strip and the pan express key was very jittery. I managed to fix the zoom issue by removing it from Auto Zoom and just setting the button to just Zoom (although then there was no control over the speed it zoomed in). Also (simply because of how Manga Studio is) using Manga Studio over two screens is not as fluid as for example Photoshop is. But, even with these minor issues I am still very impressed.

Below are 2 sketches I did. Left one is in Photoshop (which I know is really sketchy) and right is in Manga Studio.


No comments: